ASUS Z170 Flash Back to Older BIOS How To
Credits for this guide go to elmor. Thanks for your work!
WARNING: This may cause your system not to start. Use at your own risk.
The procedure below allows you to flash an older BIOS on motherboards without USB BIOS Flashback feature. The lack of this feature means there’s no simple way to recover if things go wrong.
This will help to solve the error “selected file is not a proper BIOS”.
If you want to use non-K OC with recent ASUS boards, you often can’t flash back to an older BIOS the normal way. So you have to follow this guide to downgrade the BIOS.
First download the required tools here:
Prepare the BIOS file for use with FPT
- Get the BIOS for your motherboard in CAP format (in this case MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT-ASUS-0019.CAP)
- Open the CAP file in UEFITool
- Export to ROM (MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT-ASUS-0019.ROM)
Using Flash Programming Tool to flash the BIOS on your system
- Open a command prompt with Administrator rights and navigate to your FPT directory (Note: There are DOS/EFI/Win32/Win64 versions, this guide uses the Win64 version.)
- Flash the BIOS by using the command fpt -bios -f BIOS_FILE.ROM
The BIOS is now flashed to the old version and you can do non-K OC
273,975 total views, 76 views today